Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Time for Timer!, Crossfit & Variety

BREAKFAST





Eat your breakfast or this guy will GET YOU!!!

While I'm not going to recommend eating lunch meat and steak for breakfast, I will say that I do agree with Timer here and would rather you eat that than nothing. Coffee alone doesn't cut it. Why?

When you skip breakfast after not eating for several hours overnight, your paranoid body goes into fasting mode. This means you aren't burning calories and you'll feel sluggish mentally as well as physically. That is a bad time all around.

CROSSFIT & THE POWER OF VARIETY

In March I joined a Crossfit affiliate in Pasadena and I find myself excited to get there every morning. The workouts are varied, intense and challenging. The first 3 weeks I found myself as sore as I was when I very first started working out. It blew my mind. In 7 weeks I've seen remarkable results in my overall performance and stamina. With that in mind, I've decided to follow the Crossfit Endurance program to train for my first half ironman. What this means is that instead of my usual tri training consisting of long multiple hour workouts (and a general cranky attitude on occasion that is incredibly annoying I'm sure), the vast majority of my training will be under 45 minutes in duration and involve lots of sprinting and resistance intervals. I am still trying to wrap my head around this but if people use this method to successfully train for ultramarathons (100 mile runs!) then I'm pretty certain it will get me through my race. Wish me luck. I'll occasionally post details here as my training progresses.

So what's the point of all of this information? The point is that variation in the way you workout is HUGELY important. Surprising your body and moving it in all different ways at different speeds is what keeps your fitness in a constant state of progression. The wonderful thing about Crossfit is that the workouts are different everyday and someone else has determined that for me. Get out of your 30 minutes on the elliptical machine rut and go outside for some sprints, try some pull-ups, buy a jump rope, go on a hike, or better yet, do all of these things! When you do the same workout day in and day out your body acclimates to it and the progress you saw initially will stop. Not to mention the fact that you're going to get bored. Switching it up keeps you interested and keeps the results coming. (That's what she said)

DAY 1 OFFICIAL TRAINING

For the record, I have been going only to Crossfit for the past month now. No cycling or swimming and the longest distance I've run is 2 miles that were broken up into shorter segments. Today I put that Crossfit only training to the test to see if those short intense workouts would actually translate into a nice long endurance workout. I did 30 minutes of sprint intervals in the pool and 70 minutes of spinning with lots of sprints and 2 solid hills. This is a pretty typical "in race training" workout for me and I'm usually exhausted after. Today, after no long cardio bouts for a month I totally kicked this workout's ass and don't feel the need to take a 2 hour recovery nap. Awesomeness.

P.S. Boot campers if it works for me I bet it'll work for you! The more comfortable you get with the basic movements, the more variety and intensity I'll be adding so you'll always be seeing progress if you show up regularly.








No comments:

Post a Comment