Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Garlic, Onions, Water & Cancer

GARLIC & ONIONS

I love this image.
Found on Flickr:
HHokschirr



Garlic and onions contain many wonderful nutrients and cancer fighting properties. The way you prepare your food is essential. Cooking onions and garlic over high heat can decrease and destroy a lot of the benefits they could be providing you. If you are cooking with garlic and onions, chop them finely and let them sit for at least 5 minutes (ideally 10 minutes) before cooking. As they sit, elements contained in the cells, now ruptured by cutting, will come together to form stronger compounds that can withstand heat. Cook over low to medium heat. Onions can be cooked for a duration of up to 15 minutes and still maintain these compounds, so start with the onions and add the garlic in a few minutes later.



WATER

water
This Sunday I will be running in this race:

Don't worry boot campers, it is in the morning so the 5:30 class will go on as scheduled!

It's a short 3.5 miles to raise awareness and funds for worldwide water shortages. There are a lot of run/walk races this time of year and almost all of them raise money for charitable organizations. It's a fabulous way to get a workout in and help some really wonderful causes.

CANCER

On July 31st I will be doing my first half ironman:


This is an all female half ironman raising money for cancer charities. I am especially excited because it takes place on the same day as the Vineman Ironman. Once I'm finished I'll be able to watch some truly amazing athletes finish up their race. Very inspiring.

Half Ironman: 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run
Full Ironman: 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run












2 comments:

  1. I thought of you and this blog entry tonight as I prepared dinner. I cut a large onion and remembered to let the onion rest/sit AFTER I started cooking it. Oh well....maybe next time! On another note,good for you for preparing for a half iron (wo)man. It's so helpful to have goals for fitness and strength training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suzanne! Isn't the onion info great? I'm betting next time you'll remember. Sometimes I'm in a rush and I forget as well. I hope Alaska is warming up!
    x

    ReplyDelete