Saturday, April 24, 2010


Cheating! (Not the Cosmopolitan article kind of cheating)

Yesterday was a lovely day and it was also a "cheat" day for me. Mike & I took the dog on a 2.5 hour hike in Angeles National Forest. Afterwards we went out for a burger and fries at Umami Burger (which is delicious by the way) and then stopped at Auntie Em's on the way home for some dessert. I definitely scarfed down half of an enormous chocolate pistachio cookie and half of a coconut cupcake (also enormous if you must know). Needless to say, this wasn't a normal food day for me, but I'm not beating myself up over it. I did, however, feel incredibly crappy after consuming all of that sugar. While you should be watching what you eat most of the time, if you don't allow yourself the occasional break, then you're setting yourself up for failure. My general rule is this:

When I'm cooking for myself at home, it's going to be clean and healthy but if I'm going out to eat, I get whatever I want.

This doesn't work for people who eat out frequently. If you're one of those people, find another rule. Maybe you give yourself a free day once a week or once every 2 weeks. Whatever is most likely to keep you on the right track the majority of the time is the way to go.

That being said, don't make unhealthy food a reward for hard work. Nothing bugs me more than trainers who, post tough workout, say "Great job!! Now you can go home and eat whatever you want!!" For the love of god, please don't go home after a workout and stuff your face with ice cream like this guy:


How is your body supposed to recover and rebuild after jumping through hoops for you if you give it a bunch of sugar & bad fat to work with? Reward & thank your body by giving it protein, complex carbs and water after a tough workout. This way you are less likely to feel lethargic and sore later on. Not to mention the fact that it takes about 2 seconds of eating cookies to (calorically speaking) undo all of that work. Think about it like this, for every cookie you eat you would have to run 1 mile to burn off the calories you just consumed from that one single cookie. I'm generalizing of course, but in most cases that's not far off the mark. For the cookie I ate yesterday it's more like 3 miles of running.

Special Requests

If anyone has anything in particular food/health/training wise they have questions about or would like me to write about please feel free to comment below. Some of you have mentioned that you are unable to comment. I'm not really sure what the deal is with that, but I'm going to try to change the settings right.....now! If it still doesn't work, feel free to email me (nickelsend@hotmail.com) or send me a message on facebook and I'll address your questions here.

Next post will be about Omega Fatty Acids and I will be including one of my all time favorite recipes that incorporates OFAs, B12 & lots of color to tie together recent posts into a delicious meal you can make.

Motivation Kitten of the day says Go For It!

No comments:

Post a Comment